Saturday 26 April 2014

PAO - Peri-acetabular Osteotomy 19 days to go...The start of the countdown

So, this is my first ever blog attempt. My lovely daughter (number 3) is going to be my chief technical advisor on all things i don't understand (most of it to be honest) ....i am definitely a technical airhead!

A bit about me....I'm an ancient mother of 5 and a grandmother of two. I'm about to undergo major hip surgery and start a new business at the same time. I have decided to blog to help keep my thoughts in order, share my experiences and generally stave off the upcoming boredom of long bed rest and being housebound for a few months.

I am worrying about my forthcoming PAO (Peri-Acetabular Osteotomy) ...i've had one before and they are NOT nice. :-(  However, a bit like childbirth, i seem to have forgotten the trauma and am having another one.

Now, whenever i mention i am having hip surgery people say things like "my nan had a replacement, you will be fine" "the recovery will be quick" ... so frustrating!
This is NOT a replacement!

 A PAO is a surgical treatment to preserve my own joint, this will make a replacement easier when the time comes. During a PAO they cut the bone around the acetabulum which joins the acetabulum to the pelvis. It is then rotated to the best position to cover the femoral head.Screws are then inserted to maintain the correct position. I am basically trusting someone (in this case Darren Fern) to break my pelvis for me and screw me back together again.

These are pics of scar and bruising from last time... not for the faint hearted


I have 19 days to go and to put it bluntly "I'm shitting it" ...literally to be fair as i also have Crohns disease. since finding out my op date much of my time has been spent on the loo...the joy of pre op nerves.

I am going to try and blog every day during my OP and recovery. Please share this journey with me. it is a long and sometimes lonely process and i am going to need all the encouragement i can get from you all, especially my fellow "hippies"

On a positive note i cant wait to try out my day bed
Im going to try to chill out and supervise my two year old from here...maybe get some snuggle time too :-)



3 comments:

  1. Hi Claire - sorry to read that you are in more discomfort and the pending op. Hope all goes well for you. Could you confirm that the messages are getting through?

    Rosie (will confirm my retry on FB too) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie. Thank you for commenting. Im SO new to this blogging thing so its nice to see a friendly face responding :-)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll get used to it - you'll be posting music and pix in no time :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete