Sunday 27 April 2014

chocolate as a pain reliever

Morning!! Am feeling a little grumpy this morning as I had interrupted sleep last night. Firstly I experienced excruciating cramp in my right calf...first i knew of it was when i woke myself by shouting out. I could hear John saying "whats wrong?, whats wrong?" but by the time i had (a) woken properly and (b) dealt with the cramp, he was snoring loudly beside me. Then of course the snoring kept me awake. I nearly decamped to the day bed but thought i had better make the most of snuggling up as we will be sleeping separately for a good while after i have my PAO.

The next thing to wake me was the pain and then relief of the bursting of my newly acquired "friend " the carbuncle! I first discovered this a week ago and at first thought i had been bitten by something in the garden. it grew and grew, getting more painful. I asked John and my friend Madeleine to look at it. They both declared that I had a five headed boil on my back! My G.P confirmed their diagnosis and I am now on antibiotics as it needs to be gone before the operation. I am also washing in hibiscrub so that when I have my MRSA pre surgery check next week there should be no signs of infection.

Now, amongst other things number 3 daughter is allergic to hibiscrub. so am having to scrub everything after bathing so that she avoids anaphalaxis!

The hip that is due to be operated on is actually feeling fairly comfortable at the moment, whereas the previously operated one is aching...am hoping it is because i am naturally favouring that hip at the moment and not a sign that things are getting bad on that side again. I have remembered from the previous op that weight bearing for the first 6 weeks should only be 10kg on the operated side. how do you judge that? last time I think Iwent with what was comfortable. anyone have any insight on this? I think this may be a question I could as fellow "hippies" on the very supportive and informative facebook PAO page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/147992365259/?fref=ts

I am spending a lot of time worrying about how we are going to manage the school run, look after the children , enable John to work etc after the op. My mum is hoping to come and stay for a few days during the time in hospital but its not certain at the moment as she herself is unwell. I will know more next week and really should leave the worrying until then...but a mums job is to worry so worry i will!

My lovely children and grandchildren
The one I am most worrying about is my 2yr old. I haven't been away from him yet, except for the odd hour or two and I know he will wonder where I am. I hope we can sneak him in to visit me even though the hospital has a no under fives policy on visitors. I know also that I have to make the most of the next two weeks of cuddles as he wont be able to sit on my lap for a while. This makes me sad when I think about it.

I am having my PAO on the NHS( national health service) at our local private hospital the Duchy. I often read posts on facebook from American "hippies" who have to deal with insurance and have huge out of pocket expenses. I am so glad of the NHS as I am sure if I was in the USA I wouldnt be able to afford to have surgery and would have to live with this pain forever. My advise to my American friends with hip dysplacia is find yourself a nice english man, get married and get here for your op! :-)

 My surgeon is going to be Darren Fern who I trust totally. He did such a great job last time and is always very kind. The RPAO that I had last time was such a success not just for my hip but released a trapped pudendal nerve which was causing me some embarrassing problems with a little known condition call PSAD or RGS (persistent sexual arousal disorder/ restless genital syndrome.) I found it all very embarrassing as you can imagine. Its not the sort of thing that is easily shared. imagine "sorry, I cant come for a walk as I have restless genitals"!! raised eyebrows all round :-) I feel more comfortable talking about it now that I no longer have it.

Even though i am probably just talking to myself and the odd friend writing this, i am finding it very therapeutic and it is definitely helping me feel calmer about the whole experience.

I now have a fun filled day of ironing and chores ahead of me, fuelled by the remains of my Easter egg.

Anyone else find chocolate a good pain reliever?



2 comments:

  1. A plank of Cadbury's - that should distract you for half an hour :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha....it was dark choc. I have googled choc as a pain reliever and guess what? it is and there is tons of research on it...the world has gone mad :-)

    ReplyDelete